Travelogue: Rabat, Morocco

Whew! It’s taken me a couple of weeks to get it together to write this post — I battled the flu and had to get through the holidays first–but I finally went through my photos from Morocco and I’m so excited to share some tidbits about my trip with you all. So first things first — about the trip: Jason and I were invited by the Kingdom of Morocco (I know, FANCY!) to come to Morocco on a trade tour.  We were invited specifically by the Maison de l’Artisan (House of The Artisans) and the Ministry of Tourism. The point of the trade tour was to build relationships between designers in the U.S. and the artisans in Morocco. We were invited to a trade show called Minyadina where we met with dozens of artisans who make everything from rugs, jewelry, furniture, glassware, tile and all of the handmade Moroccan goods I’ve been obsessed with for years. It was a very dreamy invitation that I could not refuse.  We were with a wonderful group of designers that were pulled from different areas of the design sector, chosen by Susan Dickenson of Home Accents Today, a home decor trade magazine.

This artisan from Minyadina shows us her hands, dyed with natural dyes from the yarns of her rug weaving.

Rabat is a very charming place. It was my second time to Morocco, but my first time to Rabat. The way the walls in the Medina are painted in this bright cobalt blue really got me.

This moment was pretty epic. Cats all over the place here.

Beautiful, handmade goods were on display throughout the city.

Rabat is on the water and there was this beautiful little tiled cafe where we stopped for mint tea and baklava to watch the sun go down. Pure magic. Also, patio goals.

The details in Rabat are stunning. Everything is a little weathered from being on the water. Bright colors and patterns with the perfect amount of aging and feeling of history. Stay tuned for more photos from my trip, coming up I’ll be sharing snaps from Marrakech and Le Jardin Majorelle.

Hope you all are having a wonderful holiday <3

J

12 responses to “Travelogue: Rabat, Morocco”

1. Nikk P. says:

Soooo pretty!! The blue painted walls make my heart skip a beat! Can’t wait to see more :)

2. Casey says:

Where did you stay? And did you like it? My husband and I met in Rabat while studying Arabic there as college kids, then we moved back there again around 2010-ish for a bit. We’re planning to return for a trip with our baby daughter (who we named after my Moroccan host Mom Amina!) this spring and I’m having the hardest time finding a hotel to get excited about. Admittedly I am picky because I own a small hotel myself (Spruceton Inn: a Catskills Bed and Bar), but surely there’s something! Any tips will be greatly appreciated.

• Melissa says:

That’s a great story! I’ve been to Rabat a number of times, and I like the hotel terminus near the train station. It’s newly updated and there is a nice rooftop breakfast with a good view and it’s in a convenient location. I also like Le Pietri urban hotel just down the street. It depends what you’re looking for though.

3. Loved sharing this journey with you – pics are AWESOME! Will post my Home Accents Today story (6 pages!!) on New Years Day… cheers to you and Jason, Susan

4. The atmosphere of this charming place reflects its culture and kind people. Thank you so much.

5. Jean Gogolin says:

Gorgeous. So like the Greek islands in the colors – especially that brilliant cobalt!

6. […] In December, I went on a quick trip to Morocco.  […]

7. […] still going through all the photos from my trip to Morocco last month but today I wanted to share some of my favorite snaps from Le Jardin Majorelle–one of my all […]

8. Katy Beacher says:

Beautiful! Thank you. I’m unable to travel anymore but I really appreciate and enjoy your travelogue.

9. Stacie Markham says:

Holy crap that rug…I am dying here. Morocco..I’m coming!

10. Carla says:

All the details are in this post is awesome Thank you for your information that you’ve shared.

11. I love Rabat and don’t get there often enough even though it’s just up the coast from our usual stomping ground of Asilah.