DIY Cement Tile Planter
I’m pretty obsessed with the cement tiles we put in our newish studio kitchen. And when we had a few leftover boxes of tile, we wanted to find another way to use them. We finally landed on planter for all our jungalicious planties! I love the idea of having a planter that matches the floor tile. So much so that I’m thinking about making a long planter for my porch out of the leftover tile from that project. Since cement tile can be pretty pricey, this is also a fun way to bring cement tile into your home without spending a fortune especially if you’re renting or not trying to do a big remodeling project.
Here’s what you need…
- 3m Ceramic Adhesive
- Cement tiles of your choice (we used 8 Alhambra 8″ x 8″ Handmade Cement Tiles in Orange/Gray from Wayfair tiles for our planter, but you can use as many as you want, depending on whether you want a square or rectangular planter!)
- Plants (keep them in their original pots)
- Lay your tiles out and mock up your planter
- Have your tiles facing out, even the bottom tiles, so you can see the pretty designs
- We used 8 tiles to make up this planter, but you can make yours as long or as short as you want. You can make yours super long for a great bench planter! It’s up to you!
- Apply a thin layer of 3m Ceramic Adhesive to the areas where the tiles will touch – but don’t have the tiles touch quite yet
- Let the adhesive on the tiles dry completely
- Apply a second coat of glue and start assembling your planter (while the second layer of glue is still wet)
- Once all the tiles are lined up, hold them in place for about 30 seconds
- Let everything dry for 24 hours so the adhesive cures
- Voilà! Now you have a mighty fine planter!
- Time to add some plants!
- The cement tiles make this planter rather heavy, so we recommend that you keep your plants in their original pots before putting them into the planter so you can easily pop them out and water them without having to move the planter. Great for outdoor use!
Don’t have left over tile like we do? Here are some of our favorite cements tiles!
- Medina 8″ x 8″ Handmade Cement Tile in Multi-color
- Alhambra Handmade 8″ x 8″ Cement Field Tile in Blue/Beige
- Ahfir Orange and Black Handmade Moroccan 8 x 8 inch Cement and Granite Floor or Wall Tile (Case of 12)
- Midar Handmade 8″ x 8″ Cement Field Tile in Navy Blue/Off-White
- Diamond 8″ x 8″ Cement Field Tile in Green/White
- Oujda 8″ x 8″Handmade Cement Tile in Blue/White
- Granada Black and Brown Handmade Moroccan 8 x 8 inch Cement and Granite Floor or Wall Tile (Case of 12)
- Circulos A Cielo 7-7/8 in. x 7-7/8 in. Cement Handmade Floor and Wall Tile
- Tafraout 8″ x 8″ Handmade Cement Tile in Yellow/White
Time to decorate wild!
Crafting and photos by Justina Blakeney