5/10/1710 Design Ideas to adopt from The Standard Hotel, Miami Beach

Standard-Miami-9

I was in Miami a couple of weeks ago month and stayed at The Standard Hotel, Miami Beach. I found the hotel to be extremely inspiring from a design perspective. The hotel sits on an island and is surrounded by lush plants and a beautiful view of the water. I loved the rooms (some really good small-space solutions are employed). But even more than that I loved the lobby and restaurant area. The hotel was designed by Shawn Hausman. Here are some ideas to adopt:

Standard-Miami-5

1.) Use pieces that don’t take up a lot of visual weight, like these Hans Wegner rockers, in areas where you want a light, airy look.

Standard-Miami-6

2.) Sprinkle in unusual planters that make a statement and turn your plants into works of art.

Standard-Miami-7

3.) Say yes to stained glass.

Standard-Miami-8

4.) Use plants to define walkways, even indoors.

Standard-Miami-10

5.) Float modular seating, like this amazing Mah Jong sofa by Roche Bobois  in the center of a large room to create flow and different conversation areas.  Standard-Miami-11

6.) Use an awkwardly-placed column as a place to hang some really pretty sconces.  Standard-Miami-14

7.) Hang macrame, matching planters and pothos plants along a wall to create a plant gallery feature wall.

Standard-Miami-15

8.) Paint the ceiling a bright blue hue (also looks so pretty with the wood paneling on the walls, doesn’t it?)

Standard-Miami-13

Standard-Miami-16    Standard-Miami-18

9.) Use string curtains for room partitions and as curtains — frost half the window for added privacy.    Standard-Miami-19    Standard-Miami-21

10.) Use Pops of yellow outdoors to make things feel all kinds of sunshiny.

Standard-Miami-22

Photography by J. Blakeney

14 responses to “10 Design Ideas to adopt from The Standard Hotel, Miami Beach”

1. Molly says:

Loving the vibe here! the perfect blend of modern and vintage with a touch of boho. How great is the stained glass!?! Happy to see this feature in such a beautiful and bold way. I’ve always had this image of what I thought Miami was like and i’m totally surprised to see how magical it all looks.

2. Caitlin Watson says:

WOW!! This is beautiful! Looks so fun and inviting! I want to visit!! Love all this fresh ideas and fun use of space!

3. Ben says:

This is the best home decor blog ever!

Check out kamsah.com

I think you’d like a lot of our home decor products…very in line with the Jungalow :)

4. Thank your site! information your share is useful to me!

5. But even more than that I loved the lobby and restaurant area.

6. skype says:

Your article had provided me with another point of view on this topic

7. login says:

Sopha chair with beautiful blue design

8. That pathway with the plants is mind-blowing!

9. Love those plants to make a path.

10. Putting plants at various place enhances the beauty of a place. and this idea can be used in kitchen as well. One can either create kitchen garden or can hang small plants in kitchen walls.

11. Erykah says:

Great post, Justina.

12. skype login says:

13. Lorna says:

I loved the flowers and plants were used to brighten up the place. It is a great piece to embellish your house.
    I deal in plants and flowers and other home decor products.
    Would be pleased if you check out my website http://www.stainedglassandsilkflowersplus.com/ and I am sure you will find something to your liking.

14. Gay says:

Skype has opened its web-centered consumer beta to the entire world,
    right after establishing it broadly within the United states and You.K.
    before this four weeks. Skype for Internet also now
    facilitates Linux and Chromebook for immediate online messaging interaction (no
    voice and video yet, these need a plug-in installation).

The increase of your beta brings support for an extended
    listing of spoken languages to help you bolster that global user friendliness