3/13/17Baskets from Burundi

Burundi-baskets

I made my monthly pilgrimage to the Rosebowl flea yesterday, due to the time change I got there later than I normally do, which was not fun. It was hot, crowded and the ATM machines were broken so I waited in line for an hour to get some cash. Oy. Right before I was about to leave empty-handed (and frustrated) I came across these colorful coiled baskets. To my surprise and delight they were $15 each so I snatched up 5 of them. The man who sold them to me told me that they are from the Republic of Burundi,  a region of East Africa, bordered by Rwanda, Tanzania and Democratic Republic of the Congo.  The colors and patterns mesmerized me. Picking which five I wanted was not easy.

burndi-2 baskets-burundi baskets-burundi-2

As soon as I got home I hung them in our living room. Now I’m determined to fill that whole portion of the wall with baskets. If you’re looking for similar baskets I found some by searching “coiled African Baskets” on Etsy.  Also, some kind readers pointed out there there are some great resources for African baskets of various types that also support the African women that weave the baskets — try IndegoAfrica, Baskets of Africa and Justhandmaidens. Happy start to the week!!

xxJ

15 responses to “Baskets from Burundi”

1. Tiffany says:

Beautiful finds!

2. Janet says:

Hello Justina;
    Love your website and love your work. In general you and your team are awesome. I am an East African (Uganda) living in the US and I love these baskets and have some on my wall too. I was wondering if you could highlight some websites where we can buy these baskets where proceeds from a purchase are used empower Burundian women

• Justina says:

Hi Janet!
      Thanks for the note! If you have any recommendations for great sites that sell these and support Burundian women I’d love to learn about them! We can update the post here with more resources. Thank you!!

• Janet says:

I only know of one website thus far but the baskets are from Rwanda. It is indegoafrica.org (no I am absolutely not affliated with them at all). For African baskets similar to these ones, I recommend basketsofafrica.com
        Hope that helps.

Janet

3. Lisa says:

I did the rose bowl for the first time yesterday and I had no idea it was such a zoo…… (can you tell I’m not from LA?)

how did i miss these gorgeous bowls……..

have you ever posted tips for doing the rose bowl? i’m sure you’re an expert at navigating it. i was overwhelmed before i even parked my car. then the first item i picked up after i finally got inside (stupid ATM line) was way outside of my budget. sigh.

4. Caitlin Watson says:

I love collection of baskets! Good finds. Love the colorful ones!

5. Haley says:

What a great deal!!! I love the green ones. I want to do a wall like this over my bed, but every time I find hesetheyre pretty expensive. Kicking myself I didn’t get a bunch when I was in Africa

6. Nikki says:

I love the look of a basket gallery wall but i’m so confused on how to hang them. What do you do to mount them to the wall?

Thanks!!

• Justina Blakeney says:

so these actually had small loops on the back for hanging — but when they don’t come with that, you can create a loop with a small piece of wire (even a paper clip can work). Just weave it through the front discreetly–then simply use a nail or pushpin to hang.

7. Anwar says:

Those are absolutely gorgeous baskets. Really makes me want to go to Burundi! I have a lot of Africa still left to do :)

Anwar | http://www.beyondmyfrontdoor.com/

8. Ellen says:

I have a basket from “the women of Rwanda” which has this look in turquoise and white. I have often thought a wall of them would be fabulous, but have never seen anymore. I love what you have started, so keep going.

9. Rusty says:

4th time trying to comment now…
    Hi Justina! :)
    Check this site out:
    This place supports the women makers of various impoverished places around the world. Often, it is these women that hold it together when the going gets tough; so we can help them, with all proceeds going to the women who make the beautiful hand crafts.
    Rusty x

10. Rusty says:

Yaaay! It finally worked. Glitch in the system??

11. Karey says:

These are beautiful! We are in the process of adopting from Burundi and filling out home with pieces of our daughter’s home country is goal. :)

Thanks for the links, too! Supporting women in developing countries is always a complete bonus!

12. […] the legs, but because these legs aren’t removable I now have the day bed and the chair portion in my living room and the sofa remained here at The Junaglow HQ. I was bummed at first but now that I’ve been […]