2/22/17B+W VS. ROYGBIV

Screen-Shot-2017-01-17-at-9.49.08-AM

I can be an all or nothing type of gal. Lately, while shopping for vintage I find myself being drawn to two distinct palettes: straight of super graphic black and white — or a total color explosion in full ROYGBIV glory. (above image via Sera of London).

black-and-white

With the black and white vibe I love how the textures of the pieces steal the show. Also, I love how the chiaroscuro markings in patterns play off of each other, like on the Yoruba beaded chair in the upper left.

newboho_c06-326

Image from our book, The New Bohemians. The home of Louise Sturges  shot by Dabito.

rainbow-picks

But oh the rainbow palette. It just so dang fun. It’s hard to feel sad when surrounded by this much color, wouldn’t you say? It feels so free, so vibrant and just so dang happy! Which palette are you feeling more into lately?

Vintage piece all sourced from our partner site, Chairish. Check out all of my favorite vintage picks here.

13 responses to “B+W VS. ROYGBIV”

1. Libbynan says:

I did my sunroom in black and white a few years ago and I am so tired of it. I keep sneaking in colorful pots and pillows and candles. I think colorful slip overs are just over the horizon…..

2. Kirsten says:

Ruh roh… it’s actually roygbiv (red orange yellow green blue indigo violet)

3. Leslie-Anne says:

The colours! At this time of year the world is grey and I want my house to be happy.

4. I love the look of black and white but agree with Libbynan that color needs to be present as well. I feel the same way about my all neutral cream and tan bedroom. I love it, but have started to add little bits of color in here and there.

5. jen says:

I’m a total colorholic! I love the look of black and white but it’s not for me personally.

6. lydia says:

justina, please tell me where the rainbow love print is from. ::hearteyes::

7. Danae Horst says:

Hard to choose which look I look better!

8. […] you chimed in on yesterday’s post about rainbow vs. black and white, I think this post will reveal to you where my heart truly lies. […]

9. Gail says:

I’m feeling the rainbow…I am all about color at this stage in life. Color keeps me happy and grounded. The more saturated the better. It feels good to come home to a house filled with my favorite scents and lots of over the top color.

10. sophie says:

pieces that are reversible are my favorite so that you can be earthy and tonal one day and then change it up to be festive bright – maybe one side mud cloth and the other a colorful kilim? hmmm

11. Just jumped on your blog band wagon and was like Love Plants, Love Boho, but I love Black and White!!
    and then I see this little article and breathe a sigh of relief and say YES!!