3/22/16Plant-o-Pedia: Satin ‘Pothos’

Plantopedia-Satin-Pothos-Detail

Danae Horst for The Jungalow

Around The Jungalow, we love ‘spillers’- plants that we can stick on a shelf, or hang up high, that cascade down- they add a great layer of texture, and fill awkward spaces nicely, plus, watching them grow longer is so satisfying. The Satin ‘Pothos’, which isn’t really a Pothos at all (botanical naming can be so complicated!), has the prettiest blue-green leaves with silverly speckles and an almost shimmering surface- it’s definitely one of my favorites (I have 3 of them at home right now), not only for it’s gorgeous appearance, but it’s fairly easy-care nature. Hang one in a bathroom with filtered light, water it occasionally, and it’ll usually be totally happy.

Plantopedia-Satin-Pothos-Full

Danae Horst for The Jungalow

GET THE GREEN: Satin ‘Pothos’ (Scindapsus pictus)

WATER: Water regularly, allowing top 1-2 inches of soil to dry out between waterings. Yellowing leaves may indicate overwatering, or poor drainage. If pot doesn’t have a drainage hole, place a layer of med-large pebbles at the bottom, before planting.

SUNLIGHT: Bright to medium indirect light.

PLACEMENT: Satin ‘Pothos’ do best in a humid environment, so the bathroom is a great choice. If placed in a non-humid room, provide humidity by placing near other plants, and setting on a humidity tray (a saucer filled with pebbles and water). Pay extra attention to humidity in the winter if you have heat running regularly. This plant is a great ‘spiller’ and looks good in a hanging planter or on a shelf where there’s room for it to cascade.

WORD OF CAUTION: Satin ‘Pothos’ are toxic to most animals if consumed.

Have a houseplant you’d like to learn more about? Leave a comment and you might see it in a future Plant-o-Pedia post!

-Danae

Danae Horst Danae Horst

Total Plant Geek. Photographer & Stylist. Content Creator at The Jungalow. Check out my new botanical shop and design firm, Folia Collective.

9 responses to “Plant-o-Pedia: Satin ‘Pothos’”

1. Oklahoma FFL says:

Love these plants! The colors are really nice and compliment the room! :)

2. Rachael H. says:

I LOVE this website – It’s everything I love and adore in one space. I also really enjoy the Plant-o-Pedia segments! I’d love to learn more about philodendrons, dumb cane, peace lily, and how to create the correct environment for the plants. I have quite a few plants that require humidity, but I live in an area with dry air. Any advice and suggestions would be so appreciated! Xo.

• Danae Horst says:

Thank you Rachael! I’ll add your requests to our list of future Plant-o-Pedia topics- thanks for sharing them! For your humidity question- a few tips that may help you are:

1. Try using a humidifier for a few hours a day near your humidity loving plants.
      2. Create a ‘humidity tray’ for plants that need a little extra. Fill a saucer large enough to hold the plants with pebbles, then a little bit of water. Keep the water level below the bottom of the pot, to avoid rotting the roots.
      3. Group your plants together, somewhere they’ll be away from fans, A/C, etc. Plants can help raise the humidity level around them.

I hope that helps!

3. Paige Haynes says:

Hi Danae – I have been thumbing through the plant-o-pedias and really enjoy both your writing and the valuable content! I would be interested in learning more about Monstera! I love the big, distinctive leaves and have admired this plant for quite some time, but I only just recently discovered the name and know nothing about it! Looking forward to reading more/Paige

4. KayN says:

The first photo of the plant with small leaves is indeed a satin pothos, but I think the second photo of the plant with larger leaves is actually called a silver pothos! I love both and think the care is similar, although I’ve found my silver pothos does best if only watered when it tells me to (leaves start to slightly curl on the edges), whereas the satin pothos prefers exactly what you advise here.

5. Katrina says:

Hi, love these posts! I am trying to identify a plant I bought recently and it looks just like this. However I was also reading online that a Silver Philodendron looks identical… is there any distinction between them? Thanks!

6. Chloe says:

Hi guys,
    I live in quite a dry area of Australia. It’s almost winter so I’ll be using heating inside.
    I’ve been looking all over your site for information on humidifiers/how to create humidity.
    Could you please give me more info or potentially do a post on it?
    Thanks so much.
    LOVEEE your blog xx

7. Peonie says:

Not only does your website have the greatest home inspiration, you gals write about the coolest plants! Thank you for spreading the word on how to take care of them! You’re turning my killing thumb into a green one!