Textile Treasury: Rebozo

The rebozo, a long scarf-like flat garment, which you may recognize as one of Frida Kahlo’s signature accessories, is not just beautiful, it’s a great multi-tasker. With it’s origins in Mexico sometime before 1572, many of the indigenous women there have been using them (or similar garments) for everything from a head covering, to a baby carrier, a tourniquet, or a backpack, for centuries. During the Mexican Revolution, women in the rebellion, called ‘Adelitas’, even used them to stash weapons when crossing through federal checkpoints. Rebozos are still used in modern-day Mexico and it’s said that nearly every woman there owns at least one.

Rebozo2

Rebozo1The patterns and colors you’ll find on rebozos are as varied as the many cultures in Mexico- some are solid colored with an intricate lace pattern in places, others are boldly embroidered with traditional or colonial designs. The design is usually the best clue as to where the rebozo was made, as motifs and color vary from region to region. Most feature fringe, which is finger woven into the design.

RebozoHome

Perhaps even better than it’s flexibility as an accessory, a rebozo is also right at home in your home- as a runner, curtain swag, throw for a chair or couch, or anywhere else you can dream up. We’re thinking of using two to cover an open shelving unit whose contents are less than display-worthy. The colors, patterns, and oh-so-boho fringe make for an instant statement piece!

Is there a textile you’ve been wanting to know more about? Leave a comment below and you may see it in a future Textile Treasury!

in
Alternative Text Danae Horst

Total Plant Geek. Check out my botanical shop and design firm, Folia Collective.

18 responses to “Textile Treasury: Rebozo”

1. Evie says:

These are so beautiful!
    I would like to know more about ‘Torans’- I saw some in your book and fell in love with them…haha!
    Your book is magical, Justina…Thank you!

2. PTAK says:

Hello Justina,

It’s really an intersting article. These fabrics are really beautiful.
    I would be interested in knowing more about Tamils fabrics and paterns. Do you know anything about them?
    Have a sunny weekend,

Sylvaine, alias PTAK

• Danae Horst says:

Hi Sylvaine! I’m happy to research Tamils, but I’m not finding much online about it- all I see is Tamil mentioned as a center for textile production in India. Do you have any other info to help in our research?

• PTAK says:

Hi,
        Infortunately I don’t have more info. The idea of researching about Tamil fabrics came to me after reading a novel about Tamil culture. But like you, I didn’t find anything on the Internet.

3. Maria says:

Would love to see your take on decorating with Otomi pillows. I just picked one up in Mexico and love it. I see a picture above of one styled with the black rebozo as a throw on the sofa. Would love to know more about them and see other possibilities.

4. aprilneverends says:

Otomi is my favorite textile design ever. I’m totally nuts about it.
    I also love suzani and ikat..love florals, a lot..I also love textures-velvet, linen, cashmere..
    It’s definitely my soft spot, all these fabrics. I had to forbid myself to purchase new pillows and throws couple of years ago.
    Then my mother-in-law came to visit us, and I immediately got her a new throw, against my own resolutions. But it’s pink I told myself, she loves pink. And it’s warm I told myself, she loves warm. after all it’s Southern California..the winters are horrid..))

5. Very quickly this web page will be famous amid all blogging visitors, due to it’s nice posts

6. Sandra says:

Hi Danae! If you ever want to do a calloboration, let me know. I’m CasaOtomi on instagram. Big hug!

Sandra

7. This robozo is looking beautiful. I love the combination of multi color. The fabric is good and i like to wear this scarf. This makes me beautiful.

8. This robozo is looking beautiful. I love the combination of multi color. The fabric is good and i like to wear this scarf. This makes me beautiful.

9. Click here says: