8/28/14Face the Foliage in Vogue. I know. I’m freaking out too.

DIANA-by-Justina-blakeney

Face The Foliage Diana Vreeland wearing Sylva & Cie jewelry

GRACEJONES-Final

Face The Foliage Grace Jones in Stephen Webster jewelry

GRACECODDINGTON-final

Face The Foliage Grace Coddington in Wendy Yue jewelry

ELIZABETHTAYLOR-bu-justina-blakeney

Face The Foliage Elizabeth Taylor in Bochic jewelry

If, a couple of years ago, someone would have said to me that some of my collages made of twigs, leaves and flowers would make it from my backyard all the way to Vogue I would have laughed. I mean, it sounds pretty ridiculous. And yet here I am, my friends, and here they are–foliage portraits all blinged out in pieces from Moda Operandi, on the front page of Vogue.com —

P I N C H  M E!

So here’s how it happened–one day I get an email from the folks at Moda inquiring about my #FaceTheFoliage project and next thing you know, they are commissioning me to create faces to pair with some of their jewelry collections. They sent me a PDF with the photographs that I was to work off of for the portraits and I broke into a serious sweat for several reasons 1.) A lot of the faces were profiles or 3/4 angels, and I hadn’t messed around with those angles before. 2.) I find it difficult to make a drawing look like the subject–I wasn’t sure if I was going to be able make these iconic faces recognizable and 3.) I had only one week to pull this off.

This job was either going to SUPER rad…or it was going to be a nightmare.  Part of me wanted to decline the job (the part that was scared shitless needing to redo the faces 10000 times)–but then another part (the gutsier part) told me to just throw myself into the project and that’s what I did.

So I took a deep breath, charged it to the flower market and did one face per day, for one week, until they were all done. The folks at Moda were great to work with, I was pushed outside my comfort zone (in a good way) to try different poses and new things with these faces–so I learned a little something along the way too.

I’m really happy with how they came out–Diana Vreeland is my favorite, and Liz Taylor, while I think my version looks more like Liz Taylor’s sister or cousin or something…I love the way she looks…and her hair–yes, I’m proud of her calla lily curls. You can go to Vogue.com to see the others (damn I like the sound of that :P)

And, you can actually win one too!  Moda Operandi is offering one lucky duck the chance to win the  #JewelsInBloom print of your choice. Go here for details and to enter!

27 responses to “Face the Foliage in Vogue. I know. I’m freaking out too.”

1. Haley says:

Congratulations! These look great. I love the profiles and the combination of the foliage and jewelry.

2. Gabby says:

They look amazing! You are so friggin talented it’s disgusting.

3. Sarah M. says:

These are really stunning, Justina! I am just in awe of your creativity. And hats off to you for collaborating with someone who scares the shit out of you. Another #boldmove of yours paying off :)

4. Katie says:

So cool! You kick ass!

5. Christina says:

What a great opportunity! Happy you took it!

– Christina http://www.cityloveee.blogspot.com

6. tula says:

JUSTINA!!!! Bow down. Huge congrats on your beautiful art. So well deserved!!

7. nicole says:

justina – long time reader, supa-dupa new commenter… i wanted to let you know the last year of your blog has infinitely inspired me to do some #boldmoves, specifically that i’m taking the leap into sobriety after a long, LONG decade of heavy booze and drug use. it’s been a rough month of starts and stops, but seeing this – what you are capable of when you are daring and bold and stop fearing rejection and failure, it’s really the boost of positivity i needed. so, ya know, thanks for that :)

(oh, and alllll of the congratulations. you DESERVE EVERY OUNCE OF AWESOMENESS!)

8. simone says:

Wow–amazing! Diana Vreeland and Grace Coddington are my favorites! Are you using lentils for Grace’s hair? So clever!

9. Kirsta says:

Congrats!!! I don’t even know which is my favorite, maybe Grace’s lentil hair, I just love them all. Many happy dances for you :)

10. Corlie says:

Congratulations! That is so awesome :) The portraits are stunning!

11. Belindq says:

Wow, this gotta be a big milestone in your life! To turn twigs, leaves and flowers collage to something grand! Thanks for sharing such a delightful news. I also want to break a happy news to you. For me, this month was a big milestone for my blog as I won something from making and writing for a blogging competition. Happy for both of us!

12. Melissa says:

These are amazing, I didn’t even have to scroll far to recognize the Grace Jones foliage. So happy for you.

13. Leslie-Anne says:

Wowzer! These are beautiful portraits. Thanks for sharing.

14. Jess says:

First time reader here – congratulations! These are beautiful!

15. Karol says:

With havin so much written content do you ever run into any issues of plagorism
    or copyright violation? My blog has a lot of completely unique content I’ve
    either written myself or outsourced but it seems a lot of it is popping it up all over
    the web without my authorization. Do you know any methods to help protect against content
    from being stolen? I’d truly appreciate it.

16. shelley says:

congrats! both Graces are my favorites! xoox

17. Chedva says:

Amazing!

18. megan says:

oh my gosh BRAVO! these are AMAZING and what a great opportunity for you! so happy and proud of you. xxo

19. Erin says:

Justina, just had to pop over to say again how amazing these are!! I was so so excited for you when I saw them over on Instagram, and I’m even more impressed now that I read that you created them in such a short amount of time! What a powerhouse!!

20. Rochelle says:

Wow, these are so stunning! Love your boldness… you are so incredibly talented!

21. I value the content on your web site. Thanks!|